- Project planning stage complete
- Design stage
- Contractor appointed stage
- Principal appointed stage
- Construction stage
- Enrolments open stage
- Construction completed stage
- School opens for year 7 stage
About the project
The new Inner City South State Secondary College will deliver a contemporary, state-of-the-art facility in Brisbane’s inner south. The new secondary school will service the growing communities in and around south Brisbane and relieve pressure on Brisbane State High School.
The school is expected to welcome its first cohort of Year 7 students at the start of 2021 and will have a strong partnership with the University of Queensland.
View the project newsletter for March 2018 (PDF, 6.7MB).
University of Queensland partnership
The department has been working closely with the University of Queensland to inform the vision and identity of this new school to ensure it establishes itself in its growing and changing urban landscape.
Where will the school be located?
The Dutton Park precinct has been identified as the preferred location for the establishment of a new secondary college and supports the creation of a knowledge and education precinct in the inner south.
The assessment process explored 3 precincts:
- Davies Park
- Kurilpa Point
- Dutton Park
The locations were considered against criteria including:
- ownership and land use
- deliverability in terms of cost and time
- site constraints, such as heritage, natural environment and flooding
- social and urban renewal benefits
- current and future population
- access to transport
- partnership opportunities.
The assessment process highlighted that the Dutton Park precinct provides:
- excellent access to existing and future transport networks and infrastructure
- state-owned land which can be used as the centrepiece for the school development
- close proximity to project partner UQ with access to the St Lucia Campus via Eleanor Schonell Bridge
- capacity to support urban growth and development for the city
- opportunities through colocation with the Ecosciences Precinct
- close connection to health sciences precincts and hospitals
- nearby green space.
Have your say - community consultation
The Department of Education is inviting school communities and local residents to have their say and find out more. Come along, talk to a project team member and give us your feedback at a community information session or display. Feedback closes 23 April.
Attend a community information session
Dutton Park State School, Dutton Park
Saturday 10 March
AHEPA Hall, West End
Monday 12 March
Drop in at any time during the session hours to talk to a project team member and provide feedback.
Please register for your preferred session here.
Visit a display
Boggo Road Busway, 30 Boggo Road, Dutton Park
Friday 16 March
Davies Park Market
Saturday 24 March
Come to a school presentation
Local schools will be running presentation sessions for their school communities.
Dutton Park State School
Monday 5 March
West End State School
Tuesday 6 March
Buranda State School
Wednesday 7 March
Brisbane State High School
Wednesday 14 March
East Brisbane State School
Thursday 15 March
Please register for your school's presentation here.
Have your say online
Provide feedback by completing the feedback form or send an email to BuildingFutureSchools@qed.qld.gov.au.
Subscribe to the BFS e-bulletin
Stay in the loop – follow us on Facebook and Twitter.